The Stars Are Lined Up for Military Spouses: For Federal Careers (Ten Steps to a Federal Job)
(as of Oct 20,2021 06:28:05 UTC – Details)
Why should military spouses consider federal employment? Here are just some of the benefits that Troutman notes in The Stars Are Lined Up for Military Spouses for Federal Careers, 2nd Ed:
- More civilian jobs for the federal government are available on bases than for any other employer.
- Working for the feds enables military spouses to build a career with the same employer, as they and their families are moved to different bases.
- Uncle Sam is a family-friendly employer, with many tele-commute positions and flexible hours.
- In addition to federal holidays, the government provides 13 days leave per year (½ day (4 hours) for each pay period); 10 Federal Holidays; 13 days sick leave (1/2 day (4 hours) for each biweekly pay period),
- Establishing a federal career enables military spouses to build their own retirement benefits.
- These employment opportunities can provide needed extra income for military families.
Best-selling author Kathryn Troutman is known to be an innovator in the design of the 3-5 page federal resume. In 2010, she created the popular Outline Federal Resume Format, which uses KEYWORDS IN ALL CAPS to help the required skills and abilities catch the eye of fed HR. For the 2nd edition of her guide, she adapted the outline format and created the new Military Spouse Federal Resume. Her goals were to make these applicants stand out and look better than other fed jobseekers.
“It’s time for military spouses to take credit for what they’ve done,” Troutman asserts. “I decided that they should start putting their Permanent Change of Order (PCS) history near the top of their resumes. The orders show where they’ve lived and moved over the years as a military spouse. This says up front that they’re a military spouse, and it explains why they have changed jobs and locations so frequently.”
WHO SHOULD BUY THIS BOOK. Military spouses, active military whose spouses are interested in federal jobs, federal job search counselors, and federal resume writers.
Special features of the 2nd Edition include:
- The introduction of the NEW Military Spouse Federal Resume, which features the PCS Orders.
- 6 sample “after and before” resumes show how military spouses can best present their background.
- A chart of keywords for job series popular with military spouses is provided.
- Original list of how many DOD federal jobs are at each base was created especially for this book.
- Process broken down into 7 doable steps.
- Fun two-color design and reader-friendly layout makes info very accessible.
The Stars Are Lined Up for Military Spouses* covers four different ways to land four different kinds of positions with the federal government:
- USAJOBS competitive hiring
- Excepted service jobs
- Non-Appropriated Fund (NAF) jobs
- Military Spouse Preference (MSP) jobs
Each of these paths requires different job search techniques and tips. Kathryn Troutman, known as the Federal Resume Guru, shares straightforward strategies based on her 40+ years of expertise with resume writing and career coaching. Military spouses will be encouraged and equipped to take control of their career.
This reader-friendly publication contains:
- Updates with the latest federal hiring changes and initiatives
- Before and after resume samples
- Clear step-by-step instructions
Publication date:November 12, 2017
File size:36001 KB
Enhanced typesetting:Not Enabled
Word Wise:Not Enabled
Print length:126 pages